No. R-III/52/43 Dated 24-10-2011
CENTRAL WORKING COMMITTEE MEETING
Central Working Committee Meeting of All India RMS & MMS Employees Union Group `C` was held at Chandigarh under the Presidentship of Com. D.K.Rahate from 18th to 19th October, 2011. Two minutes mourn was observed to pay homage to comrades and people who died during this period.
Com. M.Krishnan Secretary General inaugurated the CWC meeting on 18-10-2011 at 10.30 AM and spoke elaborately on Strike Charter of Demands agreement, attack on RMS, MNOP, NSPCs, L_1, L2 first class mail hubs, PFRDA bill, Postal Act, closure of 9797 Post Offices, attack on Postal Employees, March to Parliament on 25th November, 2011, signature campaign against PFRDA Bill and other issues. Com. P.Suresh General Secretary R_IV Com. Rajinder Prasad Ex AGS R-III addressed the CWC meeting.
Com. Giri Raj Singh General Secretary R-III presented an organizational report covering all the issues related to the RMS/MMS/Postal Employees in general and report on settlement of Strike Charter of Demands in particular and progress thereafter, all incidents and events which took place during the period after the last CWC held at Hajipur. All Circle Secretaries except H.P., J&K and Chhattisgarh attended the CWC.
Com. C.C.Pillai Ex S.G. NFPE & G/S R-III inaugurated the Open Session on 18-10-2011 at 15.00 hrs. and elaborately discussed the issues related to C.G. Employees, Postal /RMS/MMS Employees, attack on Postal /RMS/MMS, NSPCs, L-1,L-2 first class mail hubs, PFRDA Bill, impact of neoliberal economic policies on the workers and general policies as a whole.
Coms. R.N. Prashar Assistant Secretary General, H.S. Gularia Circle Secretary P-III HP circle, Manjeet Singh Circle Secretary Admn. Union Haryana Circle, Ex General Secretary Amn., chairman Co-Operative Bank, Y.Nagabhushanam Ex Vice President CHQ R-III addressed the Open Session.
Shri Ravinder Pal Singh Maiyer Chandigarh and Chairman Reception Committee delivered welcome speech. All the members were honoured by General Secretary Reception Committee and his team by presenting momentos.
Com. Surinder Pal Ex Circle Secretary R-III Punjab Circle offered formal vote of thanks. The meeting was concluded after Presidential address by Com. D.K.Rahate.
The CWC has viewed with grave concern the move of the Postal Services Board to implement the first class mails hub system (L-1, L-2) recommended by the Mckinsey consultancy for processing of first class mails, inspite of the fact that Speed Post hub system implemented earlier has resulted in heavy delay in transmission , processing and delivery of Speed Post articles and unanimously adopted the following resolutions:
1. The Department of Posts has appointed the multi-national consultancy called Mckinsey for Mail Network Optimization Project (MNOP). Before implementing the recommendations of the consultancy no effort was made to take the staff side into confidence and no discussion was held with the recognized Unions/Federations to elicit their view points on the recommendations. Further the information gathered under RTI revealed that the Mckinsey recommendations on MNOP are not even placed before the Postal Services Board and not discussed in the Postal Board at any time.
2. The Department unilaterally issued orders for implementations of speed post hub system for processing speed post articles with effect from November, 2010, dispensing with the then existed efficient and time tested system. The repeated request the staff side to discuss such an important issue with the staff side before implementation and to keep the implementation in abeyance till such time , was turned down and Department went ahead with the hasty and unscientific implementation in a most mechanical manner. Thus speedpost hub system implemented as per the Mckinsey recommendation resulted in heavy delay in transmission, Processing and delivery of Speed Post articles and everywhere unnecessary back routing is taking place . The experience for the last ten months clearly established that the speed post hub system is a total failure and it is high time that the entire experiment should be dropped and reverted back to the earlier system.
3. Even after the total failure of the speed post hub system, the Postal Board is not ready to accept the reality. Instead the Directorate issued instructions to the Chief Postmasters General to go ahead with the implementation of second phase of MNOP recommendations of Mckinsey i.e. implementation of hub system for first class mail including registered articles called L1, L2. Again the genuine concern and protest of the staffside was not taken into consideration. Staffside was left with no alternative but to organize trade union action. The Central Postal Joint council of Action (JCA) comprising National Federation of Postal Employees (NFPE), Federation of National Postal Organisation (FNPO) and GDS Unions organized series of agitational programmes and finally served notice for indefinite strike from 5th July, 2011.
4. It is only at this juncture, the Postal Service Board initiated dialogue with the staffside and after protracted discussions it was assured by Secretary, Department of Posts that the already implemented speedpost hub system and the proposed hub system for the first class mails (L1, L2) will be reviewed by a committee headed by Member (Operations) Postal Services Board in which the Secretary General of NFPE and FNPO will be members. Hither to three sittings of the committee took pace. Regarding the already implemented speedpost hub system the staffside has submitted detailed report pertaining to each circle listing out several specific cases of abnormal delay in transmission , processing and delivery due to the unscientific and unrealisitic and mechanical implementation of the hubs system. As the Department is not in favour of dropping the failed experiment to revert back to the earlier system, the staff side has submitted proposal for opening of more intra circle hubs un each circle to minimize the delay due to back routing. Further the staffside demanded transfer of control of all those speed post hubs which are under the control of postal superintendents to the RMS side. Even though Chair person of the Committee has assured that serious consideration will be given to the proposal submitted by the staffside and each case will be examined on its merit, so far no positive action is reported from the any circle. The position regarding speed post hubs remained the same and public mails are subjected to abnormal and avoidable delay.
5. Before discussing the proposal for implementation of first class mails hub system (L1,l2), the staff side requested the chairperson of the MNOP Committee to make available the copies of full recommendation of Mckinsey consultancy on MNOP. In spite of repeated request of the staff side has not supplied it till date. The staff side unanimously opposed the implementation of the L1, L2 system on the following counts:
(i) The already implemented speed post hubs has resulted in abnormal delay to public mail and is total failure. The proposed L1, L2 is a replica of the speedpost hub system. If it is implemented first class mails will also be subjected to heavy delay resulting in further erosion of public faith in the Postal Services which in turn will effect the existence of the department and its employees.
(ii) Implementation of recommendation of Mckinsey for first class mail will lead to large sale merger/closure of divisions and sorting mail offices in all the metros and major cities . Such a reorganization will definitely result in large scale dislocation of employees and staff may become surplus due to tightening of norms as suggested by Mckinsey people who have visited some metros and offered their views to the staff. The proposed reorganization will effect service conditions and promotional prospects of RMS employees. Our experience at Hyderabad and Bangalore where the department is forcefully implementing the Mckinsey recommendation, has proved the above apprehension as true.
(iii) In non metro stations also within one or two years there is very possibility of closure of L2 offices as the hidden agenda of the Mckinsey recommended MNOP is to reduce overall number of Sorting Offices to below 100 (One hundred). Ultimately the Mail Network Optimisation project (MNOP) may turn into a Mail Network Liquidation Project (MNLP) .
6. Under the above circumstances this CWC is of the unanimous view that
(i) The already implemented speedpost hub system should be discontinued and reverted back to the earlier system. If it is not possible the proposal submitted by the staffside for opening of more intra circle hubs in each circle and also to change the control of the hubs from Postal side to RMS wing should be accepted in Toto.
(ii) The proposed hub system for first class mail (L1, L2) should not be implemented under any circumstances.
(iii) Induction of technology in the mail processing and improving the quality is unavoidable but it should not be at the cost of the efficiency of the postal services and the interest of the staff should not be adversely effected.
7. This CWC further resolves that inspite of the genuine concerns expressed by the staffside and our opposition , if the Department go ahead with implementation of the first class mail hub system (L1, L2), the entire RMS employees shall go on indefinite strike from the date of implementation of the unscientific , anti people and anti employee Mckinsey recommendations on first class mails (L1, L2). This CWC resolves to request the central JCA leadership to make all possible efforts to make the strike a joint strike of all the Postal & RMS employees and also to the seek solidarity and support of the entire /Central Govt. Employees and the working class of the country and also seek the intervention of the of people`s representatives from all walks of life.
The CWC meeting resolved to implement the assurances given during the discussions of the deferred 5th July, 2011 strike regarding Sped Post hubs. Change of administrative control of all Speed Post hubs to RMS Superintendent and opening of more intra circle hubs to avoid back routing and delay to the mails has not been implemented. So This CWC request to change the administrative control of all Speed Post hubs to RMS and to open more intra Circle Speed Post hubs in all circles.
COUNTING OF RTP SERVICES:- The CWC meetings resolved to request to implement the assurance given by Department regarding counting of RTP Services for the purpose of MACP.
CADRE REVIEW:- CWC meeting resolved to demand to complete the process of cadre review without any further delay. The meeting also viewed with concern in the delay happened in conducting the meeting and finalising the proposal even though t cadre restructuring was completed in other departments as recommended by the VIth CPC.
RESOLUTION :- V
FILLING UP OF LSG, HSG-II AND HSG-I POSTS:- CWC meeting view with concern the delay in approval of the Revised Recruitment Rules of HSG-I and also the lapses in filling up the LSG/HSG-II/HSG-I posts in various circles. CWC meting request to complete the process in a time bound manner and also LSG/HSG-II/HSG-I posts may be filled up without delay.
COMPASSIONATE APPOINTMENT:- CWC request to lift the 5% ceiling for compassionate appointment.
FILLING UP OF MMS DRIVER POSTS AND STRENGTHENING OF MMS:- CWC request to fill up all the residual vacancies of MMS drivers from 2001 onward and request to strengthen MMS by improving departmental MMS in place of all private MMS introduced for the conveyance of Speed Post/ logistics etc.
PFRDA BILL:- CWC resolved to join all the struggles decided by the Joint Convention of CGE and Workers , AISGEF, BSNLEU, etc. held at New Delhi on 22-07-2011 including strike action against PFRDA bill.
PRICE RISE , CORRUPTION AND NEO LIBERAL POLICIES OF THE UPS -II GOVT.:- CWC decided to support the agitation called by the Joint movement of the Central Trade Unions against the neo liberal Policies of the UPA-II Govt., Price rise and corruption.
OSA RATE:- Anomaly in the revision of OSA rate.
MNOP COMMITTEE MEETING:- The MNOP Committee meetig was held under the Chairmanship of Mrs. Manjula Prashar Member (O) on 27-9-2011, 10-10-2011, 11-10-2011 and 21-10-2011. Com. M. Krishanan Secretary General NFPE and D. Theagarajan Secreary General FNPO attended the meeting. Secretary General has submitted a note on NSPCs & L-1, L-2 first class mail hubs and the circle wise proposals for improvement of the SPC Hubs system as sent by the Circle Secretaries by e-mail to the Chairman of the Committee. The Staff Side categorically made it clear that they are totally against the implementation of first class mail hubs ( L-I, L-2) as it will adversaly affect the efficiency of the mails sector and will lead to large scale closure /merger of sorting offices and Division in addition to dislocation of staff. The Official Side argued that the MNOP is for the best interest of the Department and employees. There was no consensus arrived and the meeting ended in disagreement.
Central JCA meeting on MNOP was held on 29-09-2011 decided to oppose implementation of L-1, L-2 andalso decided to prepare for another industrial action if the department go ahead with implementation of l-1, l-2 inspite of our opposition.
NATIONAL SECRETARIAT MEETING:- National Secretariat Meeting of Confederation was held at Bangalore under the Prsidentship of Com. S.K.Vyas, President. The meeting seriously reviewed (i) the preparations of the signature campaign and March to Parliament on 25th November, 2011(ii) the implementation of calls given by the Confederation on Charter of Demands. The meeting decided to convene the National Council of Confederation to chalk out future course of action including date for one day strike, in pursuance of the decisions of the Mumbai National Council meeting. The National Council meeting will be held on 16th December, 2011 at Kochi , Kerela.
MARCH TO PARLIAMENT:- It has been decided by the Steering Committee of Central and State Government Employees and Teachers Organisation on PFRDA Bill to organize March to Parliament on 25th November, 2011. Confederation has allotted quota to NFPE as 7500 delegates, NFPE has allotted a quota to R-III as 700 delegates
Circle wise quota of delegates of R-III to participate in Parliament March to be held on 25th November, 2011 is as under:-
AP-20, ASSAM-10, BIHAR-30, CHHATTISGARH-10, DELHI-130, GUJRAT-20, H.P.-10, HARYANA-50, J&K-10, JHARKHAND-15, KARNATAKA-15, KERELA-10, MP-50, MAHARASTRA-50, ORISSA-10, PUNJAB-50, RAJASTHAN-70, TAMILNADU-30, WEST BENGAL-20, U.P.-125
All Circle Secretaries are requested to ensure cent per cent participation from the Circles concened.
AIPSBCO EMPLOYYES ASSOCIATION CWC:- Central Working Committee meeting of AIPSBCO Emp. Association was held in NFPE office New Delhi on 20-10-2011. Com. M.Krishnan Secretary General NFPE inaugurated the CWC meeting. Coms. I.S. Dabas G/S P-IV, R.N.Prashar, Asstt. S/G NFPE .; Giri Raj Singh G/S R-III and other leaders addressed the CWC meeting.
BONUS & D.A. :- 60 days Bonus and 7% DA orders has been issued and published in RMS Worker, November, 2011 issue.
All Branch/Divisional Secretaries are to ensure remittance of `quota` to CHQ regularly. Circle Secretaries are to monitor the remittance without default. Special Donation fo Rs.100/- from arrears of Pay has to be remitted to CHQ by the branches who did not remit the amount so far.. Circle/Divisional Secretaries are to take responsibility to implement the decision of CWC Hyderabad whcih has been reiterated in Delhi CWC, Hajipur CWC and Chandigarh CWC also.
All Circle Secretaries are requested to translate this circular into regional language .
With warm greetings,
(Giri Raj Singh) General Secretary